What does the Legal/Ethics/Structure team do?
The Legal/Ethics/Structure Team addresses these issues which arise in any systemic change. The team gives special attention to the work of anti-racism and justice in order to thoughtfully offer responses to questions like:
- Which legal matters and Disciplinary sections are of greatest concern?
- What is the legal status of the AC and the local church?
- Are the AC and the local church distinct or separate organizations, or corporations?
- Is the trust clause still relevant and enforceable?
- Which Book of Discipline sections or paragraphs should be changed?
- Why have a Book of Discipline?
Who we are:
- Tom Bentum, Gales Ferry, CWM, CT, Clergy
- Jacob Juncker, Franklin, CMA, MA, Clergy
- Breanne McFarland, FUMC Burlington, VT, VT, Lay
- Ashley Murphy, Carter Memorial, CMA, MA, Clergy, Secretary
- Colin Simson, Crawford UMC, MBH, MA, Lay, Team Leader
Our Work so far…
- Update: Legal/Ethics/Structure — 10/31/2019 - The work of the Legal/Ethical/Structural Team is multifaceted and complex. Below is a broad-scope summary of the team’s work to date.The team began their work with an in-depth review of the UM Constitution and 2016 Book of Discipline. In summary, the team found the following to be true of the legal structure of the UMC:Continue reading "Update: Legal/Ethics/Structure — 10/31/2019"